Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Getting pulled over for being out past 11

It was a Friday night and a group of friends and I had just gotten done a movie.  We were about five minutes from home and it was 11:05.  We were following the speed limit and all of the other rules.  All of a sudden a cop comes up behind us and puts his lights on.  We pulled over to see what it was the cop was pulling us over for.  With no justification on why he had pulled us over we finally came to the conclusion that is must be because of the curfew.  We sat in the car waiting for him to come up for about ten minutes.  When he had finally come to the car he questioned us on our age, where we were going, what we were doing and where we were coming from.  He had an attitude like he was expecting something bad from us.  As we explained to the officer we were on our way home from the movie and should be there in about five minutes he let us go.  After following us all the way to my house he realized that home was our destination.  I think that this is completely unfair and unjust.  Why should we be treated like we are criminals when we are just trying to go home?  It really bothered me that the cop had no other reason to pull us over but he was just pulling us over for anything he could (to get us into trouble).  If he would have never pulled us over in the first place we would have been home much earlier, but instead he had to pull us over for no reasoning besides the fact we looked young and it was 11:03 and make us get home around 11:45 witch is closer to midnight instead of 11:10 when we would have gotten home.  To me this does not seem like the cops are there to “help” and keep people safe that was just trying to get someone in trouble.  I have heard of a lot of different stories from people I know who the same thing had happened to me.  That just is not fair and is not what the curfew was meant for.  There are pros and cons for every law made but I have only ever been able to witness the cons witch makes me come to the conclusion that it is unnecessary.  I am 17 years old and I think that I should be able to be out at 11.  Personally, I think a good time for curfew would be 12:00 or 12:30.  If they say the law is to keep teens safe and out of trouble I think this time will work just as well for that matter and it is a considerate in between for everyone’s needs.  I hope that more stories like these can be heard and there will be change.  If we treated the cop how he treated us I am sure he would not like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment